Monday, February 07, 2011

Holter Monitor - CHD Awareness Week

 
Joshua wore the 24 hour Holter monitor this past Friday-Saturday. I was a little concerned about the whole thing, but it went very well. I always have expectations that things aren't going to go smoothly, and I always realize that I under estimate my boy. He loved wearing this thing! After it was place on him, as we headed for our car, he sang, "I am a lucky boy, I am a lucky boy, I get a new cell phone!" (he loves to sing & has the funniest little singing voice:)
I suppose it's all perspective. He thought it was pretty cool...fine by me!
Although I won't be surprised if he has to start all over & wear it again because I caught him pushing buttons on his "cell phone" and suddenly the screen changed on the device. I'm pretty sure he reset it.  But hopefully I'm wrong & they have usable results.
On another note...today is the first day of Congenital Heart Defect Awareness Week.  I wish I had time to write a thoughtful CHD post each day this week, but I don't right now. And maybe some of it has to do with the fact that surgery is on the horizon & I don't want to remember the seriousness of Joshua's condition just yet.  I'll have plenty of time to live that reality in March.
There is such a push to spread awareness because CHD's are the #1 birth defect. In fact, CHD's kill more children than all pediatric cancers combined, yet gets 1/10th the funding. The medical community has made great steps with limited funding. Imagine what could be done with real research money! The first step is spreading awareness!

4 comments:

kirk and carrie said...

Man I love that silly little guy. I'm glad I was able to see that cool thing in person and hear the excitement in his voice. I love that sweet voice!

I want to spread the word. I also want to take pictures of Joshie...

Unknown said...

Hey Joshie!! You look just like IRONMAN! I can't believe that's you! You look so tough and strong. You are so lucky you got to have your own cell phone this weekend. I love seeing the pictures of you and the kids.

We love you SOOOOOOO much!!

Emily & the Craigs

Hetrick family said...

Super awesome "gear" Joshie!! You look SOOOOO crazy tough!!! We love following your story. You inspire us. And, we are spreading the word. xoxo

Mary said...

Little boys love gadgets, he probably felt special to have one of his very own!

Julian's school had Heart week last week and they did a 'jump rope-athon'. It was a good opportunity to help him connect the dots with Josh's condition.